Saturday 7 January 2012

No Food This Week

As is the way of the universe, you make many new years resolutions and then get hit in the lungs with the flu, thus being forced to break them all.

Can't breathe= can't exercise.

Can't eat= don't wanna cook.

I had planned to do a post about Toad in the Hole, because it's tasty and has a stupid name, which I'm told is to stop other people wanting it. I didn't have the strength and coordination to photograph making it this time though and I can't have sausages very often so I won't be making it again this month, but if you're interested here's a good recipe. It doesn't need the sage leaves, just use fancy sausages (like caramelised onion/tomato/leek sausages) if you want additional flavour.

The only things I've been able to eat this week, other than toast, are these recipes by Madhur Jaffrey. I love her cooking, and I regularly make these two in a big batch to last three or four days, thankfully I made them just before I got sick. We always use a lot of chili and garlic in our house, so the standard version of these recipes are pretty mild by our reckoning. However, that and the fact that they are both light simple dishes would make them perfect for Indian cooking newbies.

Timatar Murghi/Chicken with tomatoes & Masoor Dal/Red lentils.

I will be making these again soon, so I'll try to show you the process then (and the proper ingredients, vegetable oil instead of ghee! As if!)

No comments: