Monday 25 April 2011

Day 14 – Favorite Character In A Book

[caption id="attachment_469" align="alignright" width="300" caption="Mug courtesy of Protowilson.deviantart.com"][/caption]

I tend to get obsessed with characters more for the inspiration they represent than for their representation in the original book. As my name suggests I'm a huge fan of The Phantom of the Opera, but not for Gaston Leroux's original book, which lets face it, is completely terrible. I love Erik in all his forms, in versions official and fanfiction, from Susan Kay to Andrew Lloyd Webber via Brian De Palma, but I don't especially like his portrayal in the original book. Same goes for Dracula, whilst I appreciate the original book, I'd much rather have the Gary Oldman , Christopher Lee or Richard Roxburgh version.

So for this prompt I decided to choose Severus Snape from the Harry Potter series by J K Rowling, a character that I love as much in the original books, as for his portrayal in film and fanfiction. Saying that I originally only agreed to read the Harry Potter books because Snape is played by Alan Rickman, one of my very favourite actors.

I was a Snape fan before it turned out he was a good guy, he always struck me as the only sane and sensible teacher in the whole school, since he was the only one to react to Potters constant acts of near insanity with anything approaching the appropriate response. He was also in charge of the coolest of the four houses and taught the most awesome subject. By the end of the books he turns out to be the most powerful, and in many ways the most important, character in the whole series, without whom the entire endeavor would have failed with Harry's death at Quirrell's hands in the first book. And yet in the end, his life ends with the same sense of waste as when it was lived, with insufficient recognition and a pointless death for ridiculous reasons at the hands of a lunatic. He never even gets a funeral! It's all so depressingly tragic.

Even Better 30 Day Song Challenge - Day 14 - Track You Only Like For Its Sentimental Value





No comments: