Saturday 23 April 2011

Day 12 – A Book You’ve Read More Than Five Times

Hmmmm... that covers an awful lot of books...

Ok, I've chosen one of the few books I've actually had to replace due to over-reading. My original copy of American Gods by Neil Gaiman had been glued, taped and even stapled trying to hold it together for one more reading. I finally gave in when I picked it up and the spine just dissolved into confetti. I'm not kind to my books.

It's hard to pinpoint why I'd addicted to American Gods. It might be the depth of the story, the range of the characters, the flashes of humour or the sheer scale of the set piece battles combined with the individual tiny dramas. I love recognising a new god or a new reference each time I read it. I adore Wednesday for his sheer magnetism and Shadow's pathos. But I think the most endlessly appealing part is the strength of the characterisation, Gaiman somehow makes you feel that you know even the smallest character personally and then wraps you up in their world.

It also contains one of my favorite speeches of all time.

Hannah's Even Better 30 Day Song Challenge - Day 12 - Track for a Thoughtful Montage Sequence





No comments: