Friday 20 May 2011

Day 30 – What Book Are You Reading Right Now?

It's finally over! Day 30 is here!!!

I'm currently dragging myself through Blameless by Gail Carriger. I was considering using Soulless for Day 11 before I remember that it was exactly as bad as I'd expected a bright pink steampunk book to be, and therefore couldn't be classed as a disappointment. However the title character of Alexia Tarabotti was just compelling enough to make me buy Changeless (Soulless was given away free at a convention, I would NOT have paid money for it) in the hope that the series might improve as occasionally happens. And it did! Right up until the ending as which point the whole thing collapsed into exactly the kind of drama that stops me reading "romantic" fiction. It was exactly like being punched in the stomach.

Unfortunately Blameless continues in the same vein and its taken me almost two months to get 150 pages into the book and every page has been a battle. And yet, like eating stale popcorn - you don't like it, it tastes bad and you know it won't end well - I can't stop reading it. Alexia Tarabotti remains just this side of likable, and a few of the supporting cast are admittedly awesome (Professor Lyall the dignified werewolf, and Lord Akeldama, a vampire so fruity he'd make Oscar Wilde look like a member of the EDL). I've just discovered, with a sinking heart that two more books are planned. I guess I'll end up reading those too, whether I really want to or not.

Even Better 30 Day Song Challenge - Day 30 - Foist One Last Rarity On Us





No comments: